Subject: Re: NetBSD DOSEMU -- questions from a prospective NetBSD user
To: None <jgoerzen@cs.twsu.edu, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/1996 20:17:00
>From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
>[ I trimmed the CC list a bit... --thorpej ]
> john goerzen <jgoerzen@cs.twsu.edu> wrote:
> > I am looking at switching over to NetBSD because it has DOSEMU.  I have a
> > few questions before I do, though.
> >
> >  - How easy is it to install NetBSD?
>
>Not as easy as it should be, but that's slowly improving.

While not a push-button operation, the installation of NetBSD (at least i386)
is very straight-forward.  If you read the install notes completely and
prepare your system as it specifies, the installation script should work
fine.  Pay particular attention to providing geometry information in the
correct format as specified in the install notes.

> >  - How good is NetBSD's Linux emulation?  (Even though I don't run it
> >    personally, a good test is how well it runs Linux doom or Netscape)
>
>It works pretty well.  I've personally used Netscape and Doom, the former
>was actually somewhat useful, the latter was just to say "Wow, it
>actually works!".

I have had no problems with either Doom or Executor.  It really works!

> >  - Does it have sound capabilities for the Pro Audio Studio/Spectrum
> >    sound card?
>
>There is a Pro Audio Spectrum driver.

You will probably have to test the capabilities of the driver against the
capabilities of the card that you currently use under FreeBSD.

> >  - How about PPP?  How good is it?
>
>I rely on NetBSD's ppp _every_ day ... on my hp380 at home.  It works
>_really_ well for me.

The PPP package used by NetBSD works well.  The underlying serial port
drivers work varyingly well depending on what port you are using and what
hardware you have.  Under the 1.1 i386 port, you need at least 16550s and
probably a kernel patch.

> >  - Security and networking are also things I need to know about.
>
>NetBSD is a fairly secure system.  I certainly haven't run into any
>security problems, in any of the environments I run NetBSD in (quite a
>few).  I use some auxillary tools (such as ssh), but other than that,
>pretty stock system for me.

The only security problems I have ever heard of in NetBSD are the new ones
that struck all flavors [syslog()].  And NetBSD was one of the first to
patch them out of existance.

>The networking implementation is solid, and performs well.

The networking library implementation is great.  I have encountered a driver
deadlock situation when using the ie0 (3C507) and wd0 (IDE) drivers under
maximum simultaneous load conditions -- but only under those conditions --
under the 1.1 i386 port.

> >  - Support?  How do I get it and how good is it.  I have been very impressed
> >    with FreeBSD -- have even spoken to the project president a few times.
> >    They are very helpful.
>
>Well, you're "speaking" to one of NetBSD's Core group members right now,
>and I certainly try very hard to be as helpful as I can be :-)
>
>Seriously, though ... The NetBSD community is a helpful one, in my
>experience.

Support with basic to advanced use and programming questions is usually
forthcoming.  Hardware specific issues (at least on the i386 port) are
addressed fairly slowly.  Usually, NetBSD drivers are ported from the FreeBSD
drivers.  Problems with old and/or inexpensive hardware are not likely
to be addressed.

> >  - Binary-level compatibility.  Will it run FreeBSD binaries without
> >    recompilation?  I know FreeBSD has a NetBSD emulator; does NetBSD
> >    have a FreeBSD emulator?
>
>NetBSD can indeed run FreeBSD executables, in addition to Linux, SVR4
>(such as Dell SVR4 and Solaris x86), and SCO executables.

NetBSD's cross-platform emulation abilities are excellent, as is its
degree of POSIX compliance and 4.3BSD compatibility.

>Just as an aside, I personally run NetBSD on Sun3, SPARC, Alpha,
>MVME-147, hp300, and i486 systems.  The fact that it runs on all of those
>(and more!) is, IMO, a testament to how good the system really is.

I run NetBSD on two x486s.  It is a very enjoyable operating system to use.
Its low overhead (runs very nicely in 4MB [sans X {of course :}]) and ability
to compile almost anything with just a little tweaking are big wins, as is
its emulation abilities.  I do find the state of i386 driver development
a bit annoying (the above mentioned deadlock will limit its presence to
only my desktop at work) but it's still the best thing around and always
getting better still.

Max

P.S.  Besides the Black and Red books, and "Writing a Unix Device Driver",
are there any standard references for device driver creation?