Subject: Re: Serial brokeness.
To: None <mika@cs.caltech.edu>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1996 17:06:00
mika@cs.caltech.edu wrote:

>"Phil Knaack" writes:

>>[1] Its not entirely headless, as the bootblocks don't seem to work with
>>    -DSERIAL. Is anybody currently using -DSERIAL in their bootblocks?

>You need to assert
>CTS/RTS or whatever on the port for it to work (at least on our
>machines.. Intel MB 120 MHz Pentiums)--even though the kernel boots
>fine without the handshake, the bootblocks still seem to require
>this (anyone want to "fix" this, perhaps with an #ifdef? My
>own knowledge of i386 assembly is inadequate (thankfully?)...)
>I pulled out the soldering iron and connected pin 4 from the terminal
>to pins 5 and 6 on the PC side (DB25--there's a DB9/DB25 converter
>thrown in there and a null modem too...)

	Aha! That makes sense, from the symptoms I was seeing with the
SERIAL-enabled bootblocks I was testing.

	This seems like an oversight to me .. I'll see what I can do. My
knowledge of PC-hardware is also .. limited.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group