Subject: Re: AMD or Cyrix?
To: None <czyz@u.washington.edu>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1996 14:02:23
On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Zach Fine wrote:

> That's quite interesting, as I'm currently running on a Cyrix DX4-100
> (with improper motherboard jumper settings as written in my motherboard's
> manual that make it effectively a DX3-75, it's actually supposed to be a
> DX3-99.9, this will change soon).  Yet on startup NetBSD gives me the
> following message:
>
> CPU: Cx486DLC (Cyrix 486-class CPU)
> WARNING: CYRIX 486DLC CACHE UNCHANGED.
>
> Why does NetBSD think I've got a 486DLC?

In short, because the method for detecting a Cyrix chip (checking to
see whether the condition flags change during a divide instruction)
does not differentiate between the various Cyrix CPUs, and the code as
it was submitted to me some time ago always calls then `486DLC'.  This
is basically harmless, but if someone knows how to differentiate the
models, please let me know.