Subject: Re: pcvt
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@cmu.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1996 22:42:45
>1) Is there an equivalent to "gpm"? (Linux's "general purpose mouse")
>Something to allow the mouse to be used on the text console screens, for
>cutting and pasting, mainly?
>2) Is there any support for any sort of scroll-back buffer?  I still
>need to take a good look at the code, but something that'd let you view
>a few pages back of screen output?

Run "screen".  It's an absolutely indispensible program if you do much
with text screens.  Especially if you dial in and may get occasional
hang-ups (or just want to put a session away and return to it later),
since it can detach itself from the tty and be re-attached later.

It also has copy and paste.  It takes a little getting used to, using
only keyboard keys, but it's pretty powerful in that it lets you do
rectangular copies.

It will run in the pcvt (or pccons, or just plain dial-up vt100)
screen just fine.

I won't go into all the things screen does.  Just grab it and read the
docs.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.