Subject: Re: Serial brokeness.
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1996 21:58:45
>On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Neil J. McRae wrote:
>// Can anyone tell me why my serial ports don't work half the time?
>// When using kermit to talk to /dev/tty01 at 9600, sometimes it works
>// most of the time it hangs... It really sucks. I get this with cu also.

>	Kermit is the only thing I can get to work on my serial port.
>I[1] can dump a mean getty core, though.  It would be nice to know that
>there's an actual problem, with an actual solution.  I'd really like a
>getty on my serial port, though.  I've got a Freedom 110 waiting to light
>up.

Are you sure whatever you have on the other end of the port is
properly asserting the modem control lines?  Have you tried adding the
"local" flag to that line in /etc/ttys?

My serial ports have been working just great.  But I have my modem on
a Hayes ESP, and the other serial port is just connected to my mouse.

Is this something you have to do something special to trigger?

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.