Subject: Re: Parallel port woes --- still not solved
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Simons <simons@petium.rhein.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1996 18:34:47
Ken Hornstein wrote:

 > Well, it doesn't matter how new the operating system is; if the hardware
 > doesn't support interrupts correctly (like many parallel port implimentations),
 > what are you supposed to do?

Admited, if the hardware is broken, there's not much the OS can do. I
just happen to wonder why the same error occurs with two different
main boards and an external io card. IMHO it is unlikely that all of
these parallel ports are broken, but then I don't know a lot about
hardware.

 > > > You could always comment those messages out in the driver source.
 > >
 > >You're kidding, right? :-)
 >
 > Not at all.  Think of it this way; perhaps other operating systems are seeing
 > the same thing happening on your parallel port, and just aren't telling you?

I don't think that it is appropriate to patch the kernel to get rid of
the symptoms. I'd rather have the problem, whatever it is, solved.

 > Maybe the manufacturer of your printer didn't bother connecting up those
 > lines since it didn't affect the printer's operation under MS-DOS.

Unlikely, because this printer works fine under Linux and has worked
fine several years with NetBSD/Amiga.

	-peter