Subject: Re: quickcam port for NetBSD?
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1996 14:09:12
>> > I've had some curiosity about these cameras- I don't own one, but could
>> > borrow (or buy) one for this.
>>
>> Porting Paul's driver to NetBSD will be trivial-- He's done an excellent
>> job on making it easily cross-platformable.
>
>  Does this perhaps suggest that there'd be some way to support this
>device in a non-PC-architecture machine that has a Centronics-style
>parallel port?

When I asked about making a parallel-port driver that was more low-level
a little while ago, I discovered that not all architectures can control
all the lines on their parallel port (the Amiga was an example of this).

It might be possible to do this on machines that use the same parallel port
IC that the PC uses (doesn't the Alpha use the same one?), but I don't think
it's possible on all NetBSD architectures.

--Ken