Subject: Re: Q: used disklabel...
To: The Unseen <ian@south-border.com>
From: Mark Willey <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1996 12:54:25
The Unseen writes:

> to label and newfs a disk, but on reboot the disk looses all
> the partitions I had set-up.  Is there some other utility I
> need to use to write the label to disk?
>
> Ian
>
> EMail: ian@south-border.com

Ian, I think the problem that you're having is that you are updating the
'in-core' version of the disk label, but not the physical label.  Use the
"disklabel -r target_disk" syntax to see what the real disklabel is on the
disk.  The other problem that I can think of you may having is that you are
writing the label to a place that the boot blocks do not know to look for
it.  Read the FAQ for very complete details on how to write disk labels.  I
had these problems when writing to HP300 and i386 disks about 1.5 years
ago.

Mark