Subject: Re: Hayes ESP (enhanced serial port)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/09/1996 11:16:41
Andrew Gillham wrote:

>It would be nice to be able to run _one_ "ordinary"
>serial port at 38400 without overflows. (on a 486DX2/66)

It occurs to me .. running 38400 on a non-FIFO serial port is quite a few
interrupts per second to handle. 3840 per second, to be approximate.

Is it reasonable for an otherwise lightly-loaded 486/66 to service this
many interrupts per second?

I know that a DOS machine running, say, TeleMate or something, can sustain
115k continuously, (on a non-FIFO card, have done it to transfer files
between me and my roommate's computer long ago), but that's probably
polled I/O or somesuch.

Can a 486/66 handle 3840 interrupts per second? What's the latency?

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group