Subject: Re: Hayes ESP (enhanced serial port)
To: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasquatch.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/1996 11:35:05
>I have heard that the next release will hrtave support for
>the ESP built in. Will it support the Hayes 8 port ESP?
>Thanks!

I have never actually heard of anyone selling one with more than two
ports.  With that in mind, no...  The com code only makes the ESP act
like a "smarter" 16550 -- where it knows how to use the entire 1024
byte FIFO.  But, it's still running mostly in "16550-compat" mode, so
only a master port is supported (which means, I assume, that even a
two-port card wouldn't work right on the second port).

It would be really cool if someone would sit down and write an
advanced ESP driver.  But, nobody has taken the time to do that, yet.
Maybe I will some day, far from now, if nobody else has done it by
then.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.