Subject: AMD 5x86-P75 / 133MHz and AHA 1542CF
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <spberry@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/07/1996 10:24:12
I have a 1.1 kernel ( installing from scratch :( ) that booted fine
from floppy, ran the install fine, but when I reboot to install the OS,
the kernel on the SCSI disk (Quantum 850) loads just up to the last line,
and then reboots the machine.  I have a Kingston (noname) NE2000 compatible,
and a Cirrus Logic 5428 VLB video card in this machine.  Lastly, the
motherboard is an ASUS 3PCI/1VLB/5(?)ISA motherboard with flash eeproms.

I'm at my wit's end on this one.  I had to give up the nice Intel DX2/66 mb
I had been running on, and replaced it with this monstrosity.  About that
time, (or a little before) my 2842 stopped working, and I moved back to a
1542CF I also had sitting in the office.  The 2842 runs just fine on the
Intel 486/33 /8M that's currently acting as the '95 fileserver, but I'd rather
keep the nice and fast machine I have here if possible.

The 2842 will not run on either the AMD 486/120 or either of the 5x86/133s
I've purchased.  This may have been due to the death of the 730M Quantum I
was using at the time (perhaps the 1542 didn't push as hard?), I have not
yet tested it fully.

If anyone has any better knowledge of these motherboards and their
compatibility or not with BSD and the various Adaptec products mentioned, I
would really appreciate it.  (and a set of 1.2 boot floppies would make life
easier too.  :)  )