Subject: Re: Choosing the right PC-box.
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@sandra.owl.de>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@server.peacock.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/07/1996 07:47:34
> Quantum and reliable? ROTFL!

 You bet.

> A Quantum 2100S died at "ftp.uni-stuttgart.de" after 3 month. We got a
> replacement and what it died after exactly 3 month, again, great! We
> bought a Quanutm 4.2GB Grand Pix but it made noise like a lawn mover
> and never worked. So we purchased a Micropolis 1991 which works for over
> a yeark 24 hours a day, 7 days a week connect to quite busy FTP server.
> And the M1936 which was replaced by the 1991 works still fine after
> being connected to two different FTP servers for over two years.

 As I already told you: you had not supplied enough airflow to the drive.
Cooling air with at least 0.6m/s is a *must* for the bigger drives. The Grand
Prix was - when you purchased it - already almost end of life (means:
not up to date at all). Micropolis was, no wonder the drive is stable.

> Of course those drives are large and not very sillent so they are not
> well suited for home usage. But for home usage there are better choices
> than Quantum. After I heard a friend's Atlas 2GB - his whole big tower
> was vibrating - and heard of another one's heat problem with the same
> drive type I decided to spend a little more money to get a IBM 2GB
> harddisk which IMHO was a good choice.

 The IBM is making more noise? That a big-tower is shaking because he
installed a hard drive in it, sounds more olike the drive was installed
at the wrong place. The same can happen if you install a CD-ROM - it will
even shake, rattle and roll :-) The Atlas turns with 7500RPM, the IBM at 5400.

> The last reliable drive Quantum built was the LPS 52/105.

 No, FireBall is.

--
Markus Illenseer