Subject: Re: Choosing the right PC-box.
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@sandra.owl.de>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/1996 00:19:55
On June 5, you wrote:
> A Quantum 2100S died at "ftp.uni-stuttgart.de" after 3 month. We got a
> replacement and what it died after exactly 3 month, again, great! We
> bought a Quanutm 4.2GB Grand Pix but it made noise like a lawn mover
> and never worked. So we purchased a Micropolis 1991 which works for over
> a yeark 24 hours a day, 7 days a week connect to quite busy FTP server.
> And the M1936 which was replaced by the 1991 works still fine after
> being connected to two different FTP servers for over two years.

  I've had exactly the opposite experience.  Over the course of 1995,
my company bought nearly 70 Micropolis 2gb drives (3221 and 4221) and
*all* of them (every last one) failed within six months.  All of them.

  We've got about a dozen Quantum drives in the 1gb range, had 'em for
about a year, and have had no trouble with them.  Weird.  Experiences
vary.

                            -Dave McGuire
                             mcguire@digex.net