Subject: Re: Choosing the right PC-box.
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1996 22:37:40
On Tue, 04 Jun 1996 20:10:57 -0700
 "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org> wrote:

 > Quantum is the only manufacturer to offer true zero latency reads (they did
 > their cache right).  Its a real advantage.  I've only heard of some early
 > revs of the grand prix to have problems, but have never suffered any
 > problems myself. YMMV.

In my book, the speed is meaningless if you're constantly replacing the
things.  I've just seen too many Quantum and Seagate drives fail in large
disk arrays to get a warm-fuzzy from them.  On the other hand, I have >
10 year-old Fujitsus which have yet to show a single defect...

I guess I'm just stubborn :-)

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----