Subject: Re: AMD or Cyrix?
To: Webmaster Jim <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1996 09:39:00
>I'm running a related operating system at home (FreeBSD), and with
>an "IBM DX2-80" CPU; the initial probe reports:
>Jun  4 04:37:01 spath /kernel: CPU: Cy486DLC (486-class CPU)
>Jun  4 04:37:01 spath /kernel:   Origin = "Cyrix"
>Similar church, wrong pew...

Actually, it is a real Cyrix, or a real IBM chip, depending on how you
look at it.  Cyrix is a "fab-less" chip company -- they design chips,
but they don't have any manufacturing facilities.  IBM and TI actually
manufacture all their chips for them.

So yeah, probably even the same row, just sitting down by Aunt Bertha.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.