Subject: Re: AMD or Cyrix?
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@convex.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1996 11:01:49
In message <199606040007.RAA18294@MindBender.HeadCandy.com>  "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" wrote:

[...]

> >following message:
> >CPU: Cx486DLC (Cyrix 486-class CPU)
> >WARNING: CYRIX 486DLC CACHE UNCHANGED.
> >
> >Why does NetBSD think I've got a 486DLC?

[...]

> Regardless, the "UNCHANGED" part means it simply uses whatever
> settings your BIOS sets, and doesn't try to change anything (not sure
> if the DX would respond correctly to the DLC register cache settings,
> anyway).  So, this should be a harmless bit of (mis?)information.
>
> Perhaps the Cyrix probe should be changed to simply print "CPU: CYRIX
> 486", or something like that, instead.  Does anyone else see the DLC
> message with a Cyrix true-DX or 5x86 (or 6x86)?

I got that message on a Cyrix DX4/100. And it was slow as hell (regardless
of the BIOS settings). I enabled CYRIX_CACHE_REALLY_WORKS (or so) and
it's running fine. I didn't try just enabling the cache on the CPU
(which is prevented in locore.s if a CYRIX is detected).

Stefan

>   Michael L. VanLoon                                 michaelv@HeadCandy.com
>         --<  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x  >--
>     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, Atari 68k, HP300, Sun3,
>         Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX, MVME68k, arm32...
>     NetBSD ports in progress: PICA, others...
>
>    Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
>                   If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.

Stefan Grefen                          Convex Computer GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
grefen@convex.com		       Phone: +49-69-665270
"Anything that can go wrong will. It's more fun that way"
 -- Sayings of Murphitus, ancient Husaquahrian philosopher
   (Jack L. Chalker "Vengeance of the Dancing Gods")