Subject: Re: AMD or Cyrix?
To: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/03/1996 17:07:08
>> This snippet of code should not apply in any way to true 486 (or
>> later) processors from any vender, including Cyrix.

>That's quite interesting, as I'm currently running on a Cyrix DX4-100
>(with improper motherboard jumper settings as written in my motherboard's
>manual that make it effectively a DX3-75, it's actually supposed to be a
>DX3-99.9, this will change soon).  Yet on startup NetBSD gives me the
>following message:
>CPU: Cx486DLC (Cyrix 486-class CPU)
>WARNING: CYRIX 486DLC CACHE UNCHANGED.
>
>Why does NetBSD think I've got a 486DLC?

Probably because Cyrix, in their infinite un-wisdom, decided to let
their DX chips respond to the same probe as their DLC chips (which the
probe was originally supposed to find).  They should have made their
DX chips respond the same as an Intel chip to this probe if they were
in fact trying to be 100% compatible.  The probe was intended to tell
DLC chips apart from true DX chips.

Regardless, the "UNCHANGED" part means it simply uses whatever
settings your BIOS sets, and doesn't try to change anything (not sure
if the DX would respond correctly to the DLC register cache settings,
anyway).  So, this should be a harmless bit of (mis?)information.

Perhaps the Cyrix probe should be changed to simply print "CPU: CYRIX
486", or something like that, instead.  Does anyone else see the DLC
message with a Cyrix true-DX or 5x86 (or 6x86)?

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.