Subject: Hardware compatibility ?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brandon Reed (alaric) <reed@engr.orst.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/03/1996 17:35:20
I'm getting a machine that was formerly a Novell server to use as a NetBSD
or Linux or Freebsd box.  The machine has a EISA 486/33 motherboard with
an SMC Elite32 /32T NIC and an AHA-2740A SCSI card.
I'd prefer to use NetBSD because I've used it before.

I looked at the supported hardware list on the web pages and neither the
net card or the scsi controller is on the list.

I know the hardware support is constantly being worked on so if it's in
-current I would only have to build a custom kernel on another machine to
boot this one.

 The main purpose of this machine is as a sensible web server, we're
currently using a Novel (same machine) http daemon but would like to
switch to a better supported and free system that I can actually work
with. The novel daemon was used because of the reluctance of the
department to buy any new hardware. Now the novel server is probably going
to be upgraded giving me the hardware from the old one.

  If all I will have to do is build a custom kernel to run netbsd on this
hardware I can manage that without trouble.

Otherwise I need to look into FreeBSD or Linux as alternatives. I've used
NetBSD and know it's capable ( And I already know how to set it up ) I
haven't used Linux or Freebsd.

Brandon Reed