Subject: Re: Choosing the right PC-box.
To: Anders Eriksson <Anders.C.Eriksson@telia.se>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/31/1996 10:26:54
>We're about to purchase some PC-boxes for NetBSD. The questions is: What
>hardware is supported? I have this list from the fellow next door (A box

>Intel ADVANCED/EV PCI motherboard

I wouldn't buy Intel motherboards.  They may work, but they're
generally considered the lowest-common-denominator among motherboards.
Buy an ASUS -- they're the most recommended board among *BSD people
that I've seen, and they work great.

You might also want to look at getting a Triton 2 (430HX?)
motherboard.  ASUS' Triton 2's are out.

>256 kb pipeline burst cache

I'd go with 512K, because it's going to cost you more to upgrade it
later (you'll have to throw away or sell the 256K coast module).  An
OS like Unix likes to have lots of cache to play in.

>16 Mb EDO RAM

That will be functional.  You may want to add more RAM down the
road...

Also, if at all possible, try to get parity RAM (if you get a Triton 2
-- Triton "1" doesn't support parity).  I don't know if anyone is
actually manufacturing parity EDO RAM you, unfortunately...

>2 channels PCI EIDE hd controller
>850 Mb WDC EIDE hd

Actually, the ASUS board has the dual-channel EIDE connector built
into the motherboard (I think all Triton-based boards do).  But...

Go SCSI.  SCSI is the true path to enlightenment, satisfaction, and
true personal fullfillment.  :-)

Seriously, SCSI is a much better choice -- especially if you're buying
everything new and can spend a little more.  It's more extensible,
it's faster, it's more flexible, it puts less load on the CPU....

ASUS makes an NCR (or is that Symbios now?) 53c810-based SCSI
controller that works great with their motherboard, and it's cheap
(less than $100).

>Mitsumi FX600 6x CD-rom

If you do go SCSI, get a SCSI CD-ROM, too.

>3COM etherlink PCI combo

That might work, but the SMC cards based on the DEC chip are better
(SMC EtherPower???)

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.