Subject: Re: Does anybody have a 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy-only system?
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/30/1996 01:04:55
The furry one wrote:

> I bet if someone could test this out on a optical RW disk first, we'd be
> able to achieve bootable CDROM-ness.

Been there, done that.  :) (and I'm drinking my dew right now)
>From the very limited testing I did on a machine with a RWOD, the
BIOS didn't consider it to be a CD, so wouldn't boot it.
If you just mean use a real floppy to simulate the emulated one
(wrap your mind around that eh?), then the CD could be "emulated"
by any old hard disk partition.  It is easy enough to change 'sdXa'
to 'cd0a' before you make your final image.  Don't forget to add
mount_cd9660 though..

> 				--*greywolf;

Since we're on the subject of CDs, would it be possible to create
a '/dev/cdrom' type device that works like the sparc /dev/fb??
Basically it would attach to the first cdrom in the system, and
you wouldn't have to think about whether it is acd0a/cd0a/mcd0a/etc.

-Andrew