Subject: Re: Does anybody have a 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy-only system?
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: None <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/1996 16:13:26
cgd sez:

   Given that, the present reality is that it _doesn't_ happen.  And,
   given that, if we want people to be able to use NetBSD from CD-ROM
   distributions, out distribution floppies (and install programs) need
   to understand CD-ROMs.

   cgd

Well, while we're at it, someone with a CD burner should figure out how to
make one bootable.  I'm going to guess that the major stumbling block on
doing this is NOT installing bootblocks but in making a memory-based root
filesystem for handling the installation of a miniroot; MFS would be a
good candidate for that, and a RWOD would be a good candidate for testing
bootable media:

	- install boot blocks on CDROM
	- install bare minimum FS on CDROM with embedded rc script which
	  sets up a MFS and copies itself to the MFS (so some stuff can be
	  modified)
	- modify the parameter files as necessary in order to install a
	  miniroot
	- continue on with miniroot, where a writable partition is not a
	  problem.

I bet if someone could test this out on a optical RW disk first, we'd be
able to achieve bootable CDROM-ness.

				--*greywolf;
--
"I am Buzz Lightyear, ->SPACE RANGER<-"