Subject: Re: Does anybody have a 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy-only system?
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/1996 15:00:43

Wolfgang Solfrank writes:

>Do you think someone preparing and burning a cd9660 disk couldn't compile
>a different kernel for it? Should be pretty easy, shouldn't it?

>BTW, how do you install directly from a cd? I.e., how do you boot it?

	On a PC, you don't, unless you have a really new modern BIOS.
Some of the Gateway 2000 BIOS ROM flash upgrades have an option to allow
booting from an IDE CDROM, however, very few machines have this.

	Basically, on a new install, you either pull out the hard disk
and plug it into a system that's already got NetBSD, or you put a kernel
on a floppy. Thus, to install from CDROM, you need CD9660 and cd* on that
kernel on that floppy.

	The only other option is to boot DOS, install a DOS driver for the
CDROM, and "loadbsd" to start the kernel. I don't even know if "loadbsd" is
available or works. Perhaps someone can comment on this. If so, it would be
a nifty addition to a NetBSD install CD ..

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group