Subject: Re: Swap space: what gives?
To: Al Qahir <bozo@wcrb.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/1996 13:20:22
Al Qahir writes:
> I'm running NetBSD 1.1 on a Compudyne 386/33 with 4MB.  I'm using this
> machine as a DNS server and POP server for my LAN.  For some reason
> something is eating swap space.  After my last reboot a week ago, pstat -T
> gave me 3M/63M; yesterday it said 20M/63M.  Today it is up to 22M/63M.
>
> I can't find any obvious reason why this should be happening.  There
> aren't any unusual tasks running; in fact, I'm the only one who normally
> logs on to the machine and I only do so for a few minutes a day.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything I might try?

There are some bugs in the VM subsystem that cause this. When long lived
processes start paging, you end up losing portions of your swap
space. This is harmless except if you run out. People with lots of
memory don't notice the problem. Hopefully, someone will volunteer to
finally rewrite the VM subsystem and the problem will be fixed.

I would suggest that you simply have the machine reboot itself on a
weekly basis or some such.

Perry