Subject: Re: I/O problems with GigaByte-586
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@sandra.owl.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/28/1996 21:06:31
Peter Simons said:
> But the main problem is the following: Both serial and the parallel io
> interfaces do not work correctly. It seems that a certain signal is
> missing. When I try to open /dev/tty01, for example, the fopen call
> hangs until the program is interrupted.

That's the normal behaviour for NetBSD unless the tty is set to local
in "/etc/ttys". It's just the Amiga port (the machine he's talking
about replaced an Amiga) which doesn't handle it that way.

> pppd refused to do anything on the serial interface until I called it with
> "local" as parameter.

There was a bug in the pre 1.1 "pppd" which caused this behavior but it's
fixed in 1.1. What are the options you use to call "pppd"?

> The printer on the parallel device doesn't work correctly either. Once
> I start printing, the kernel reports "printer offline".

Sounds like a missconfigured IRQ to me. I experienced the same problem
after I updated my BIOS and lpt0 had suddenly another IRQ.

--
Matthias Scheler
tron@sandra.owl.de