Subject: Re: Does anybody have a 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy-only system?
To: None <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca, earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/1996 19:11:14
> But does INSTADP have anything "unnecessary" at this point?
>
> More to the point, does INSTADP contain anything "unnecessary" that the
> removal of same would reduce the kernel in size by more than 75k?

Well, from looking into the config of INSTADP the following things spring
to my eye that might be dropped from an installation kernel:

options		DEVPAGER	# Not sure about this,
				# it might be required for shared libs,
				# but then, the installation doesn't use 'em
options		LKM		# Currently no LKMs used during installation
options		CD9660		# Setting up installation from CD is
				# a different story anyway
options		FDESC		# Not used
options		KERNFS		# Not sure here, might be used

lpt*				# unneccessary for installation kernels
cd*				# see CD9660 above
ch*				# unused during installation

This should give you more than 75k. (Can't test this currently as I lost my
x86 development environment).
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800