Subject: Re: Does anybody have a 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy-only system?
To: None <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/26/1996 12:59:38
>      My system uses it's 1.2MB floppy drive as the boot drive and to switch
> my drives around would be a major pain.  I prefer them where they are.  I
> think the INST kernels should be stripped of all unnecessary stuff.  If this
> eliminates some important stuff then perhaps /netbsd.generic* should be
> included in one of the distribution sets.

But does INSTADP have anything "unnecessary" at this point?

More to the point, does INSTADP contain anything "unnecessary" that the
removal of same would reduce the kernel in size by more than 75k?

Right now I can't go to /usr/src/distrib and make i386 install floppies.
Period.  Because of this 1.2 Mb limit.  If the limit was 1.44 Mb, no problem.
I can hack the places where it allocates the vnode device to make it 14 instead
of 12, and I can probably hazard a guess to change the number of cylinders
in the creation of the filesystem on that device, but that'll get blown away
the next time I sup after somebody twiddles something else in those files.

We have to weigh this against the tradeoffs.  If only 5 people (theorizing)
have to swap drives once in a blue moon, is that not better than not being
able to create 3.5" install floppies for the rest of us?

Hopefully Perry will fly in to the rescue and get a compressed floppy thingie
working before 1.2, but we're getting awfully close to that point ...

	- Greg