Subject: Re: badsect on NetBSD 1.0
To: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/25/1996 16:01:13
In message <199605252049.QAA28622@mcci.com>,
	Terry Moore writes:

>> 	Does using the raw partition ('badsect /rwd0f/BAD 1919748') help?
>
>Nope -- it's looking for a file name, and I just happened to name
>the mount point the same as the /dev/wd0f block-special device.

Although I missed the original message, I do believe the proper usage of
badsect is to cd to the root of the file system, and run it from there
giving the name of the BAD directory as a relative path.

I've never had to use it under NetBSD, though, just under BSD/OS.

>It's academic for now; I replaced the drive.

I wish I were so lucky.  Damned batch of Seagate 9gig drives that won't remap
bad sectors correctly, and when you return a drive Seagate just sends you
another RMA'd drive that they've supposedly 'fixed'.  Most likely, when you
copy your news spool over to the replacement drive, it will immediately
explode.  Or, it'll wait until you get about 4gigs on it.

I swear, Seagate SCSI drives suck.  And I only use their IDE drives in RTs.
Strictly DEC and HP drives from now on.

--
Jason Downs		   (503) 256-8535 -/- (503) 952-3749
downsj@teeny.org  --> teeny.org: Free Software for a Free Internet <--