Subject: Does anybody have a 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy-only system?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/24/1996 02:00:51
I'm curious to know if there are any PC NetBSD users out there who have systems
that only contain 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy drives; i.e., they have no 3 1/2" 1.44
Mb floppy drive.

Why?  Because I tried to make some distribution floppies a few days ago, and
ran smack into what Perry Metzger recently warned about: the INSTADP kernel
is now about ~ 75 Kb too large to fit on the kernel copy floppy.  Taking a
closer look, however, revealed that the vnode device is only configured to be
1.2 Mb in size, not 1.44.  I know Perry's working on compressed stuff for the
distribution floppies; but I have to ask - if this were raised to 1.44 Mb and
having a 3 1/2" hard floppy drive was a requirement, would this impact anyone?

I realize that there are older 386-based systems running NetBSD out there, but
I'd be surprised if any of them didn't at least have a 3 1/2" floppy drive!

	- Greg