Subject: Re: Boot blocks croak on kernels with full debug table
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/1996 11:50:51
>> 	Basically, GDB over DDB gets you:
>> 	1. Familiar + more powerful interface of gdb. I've got tons of
>> 		nifty gdb macros/scripts I've picked up that help walk
>> 		data structurs in the BSD kernel, and I'm used to all
>> 		the GDB commands. Many GDB commands have no DDB
>> 		counterpart.

>One thing we've thought about doing around here is sticking the
>gdb-remote protocol into DDB.  Then say you're running a serial
>console, you can drop it into DDB with a BRK and type "gdb-remote" to
>start controlling it from your `gdb -k' session elsewhere.  This would
>seem to me to be the best of both worlds!

Cool!  Let me know when you're done!  Can I have it by this weekend?
That would be really swell...  :-)

(No?  Guess I'll have to keep my blah.c and blah.s printouts, and lots
of colored pens on hand for a bit longer...)

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.