Subject: Re: Boot blocks croak on kernels with full debug table
To: Craig Metz <cmetz@inner.net>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/1996 04:21:26
> 	Basically, GDB over DDB gets you:
>
> 	1. Familiar + more powerful interface of gdb. I've got tons of
> 		nifty gdb macros/scripts I've picked up that help walk
> 		data structurs in the BSD kernel, and I'm used to all
> 		the GDB commands. Many GDB commands have no DDB
> 		counterpart.

One thing we've thought about doing around here is sticking the
gdb-remote protocol into DDB.  Then say you're running a serial
console, you can drop it into DDB with a BRK and type "gdb-remote" to
start controlling it from your `gdb -k' session elsewhere.  This would
seem to me to be the best of both worlds!

					Jordan