Subject: Re: Boot blocks croak on kernels with full debug table
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1996 23:52:18
>> 	Understood, but for my purposes, KGDB does a far superior job
>> to DDB. It's a bummer that it's not in the i386 port.

>I agree 100%...  I _hate_ using DDB; KGDB has been much more reliable,
>and much much much easier to use than DDB, in my experience.

Here's a Really Good Compromise, that I've found works for me: when
I'm interested in debugging a particular object module (say cy.o :-),
I config and make depend the kernel, then I edit the Makefile, in the
compile directory, and add an extra rule that makes that particular
object output a .s file during compilation (usually adding -fverbose-asm,
as well).  Then, just print out the cy.c and cy.s files with a good
pretty-printer program, and sit down with both printouts while
stepping through DDB.

It's certainly not nearly as efficient as a good source level
debugger, but it's a helluva lot better than DDB alone.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.