Subject: badsect on NetBSD 1.0
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1996 23:37:36
Anybody used badsect on NetBSD 1.0?  I just grew a bunch of bad blocks
on my IDE drive, causing fsck to fail.  I would like to be able to
limp through the evening.  Badsect(8) seems like a good way to do
this; or at least, a good way to get fsck to tell me more about what
is clobbered.  [Yes, I know that the drive is soon to be history,
and will deal with longer term problems tomorrow or so.]

Unfortunately, when I use:

	# mount /wd0f	 		-- mounting the device
	# badsect /wd0f/BAD 1919748 	-- per the man page

I get:
	/dev/wd0f: device busy

I checked the sources and could find nothing obviously wrong, and
(other than the ref to /etc/badsect in the manpage) verified
that the manpage usage seems to match the apparent intent of the
code....

--Terry
tmm@mcci.com	tel: +1-607-277-1029	fax: +1-607-277-6844