Subject: Re: Serial changes 1.1-current
To: Operator <oper@mikrobitti.fi>
From: Sean Berry (most of the time) <spberry@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1996 11:23:43
>An old topic..

>I have a 120 MHz pentium and I get massive overruns using 16550 UARTs
>and PPP.  Accessing the IDE drive doesn't seem to make things worse,
>but I think the 3com509 Ethernet card has more effect on the problem.
		^^^^^^^^^

An interesting thing to note is the 3c509's dos setup utility asks whether
you have a modem and if so, how fast it is.  I wonder if this isn't a
configuration issue on the 509 side.  I had a USR Sportster 28.8, and
AHA2842 in the same system without problems, but the only load on my 509 was
from the HP9000/330 netbooting from across the room.  (Of course, it spent
most of it's time swapping.  :) )

I haven't seen this problem, but long ago someone uttered unto me that all
my problems were related to IDE disks.  So I bought a 1542 for lots of bucks
at the time, and then I had to battle bounce buffers.  And then he wrote a
VLB SCSI driver, and I bought VLB scsi.  Where do we go from here?
--
Sean Berry is a computer scientist trapped in an engineer's mind.
I imagine someone is likely to misinterpret my opinions as those of my