Subject: Re: Serial changes 1.1-current
To: Operator <oper@mikrobitti.fi>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1996 09:59:36
>An old topic..

>> > Hasn't this been tagged as a interrupt issue between the com driver and
>> > the wd ide driver?  Could everyone with this problem confirm or deny that
>> > they're using IDE drives?

>> I have occasional silo overflows on my 486/33 running PPP at 38.4, and
>> I wouldn't allow an IDE drive in the house, much less deign to actually
>> USE one...

>I have a 120 MHz pentium and I get massive overruns using 16550 UARTs
>and PPP.  Accessing the IDE drive doesn't seem to make things worse,
>but I think the 3com509 Ethernet card has more effect on the problem.

	I find this interesting because I use a P90 with an internal Zoom
modem and a 4-byte fifo, I doubt it has the 'hardware flow control'; I also
have a heavily-used 3com509 in this machine. And I get virtually _no_
errors on my PPP link (running at 38.4) to a 486slc/66 with an identical
modem.

	The P90 uses three IDE disks exclusively, and heavily. This would
suggest to me that the character-dropping problem is not directly related
to the "wd" driver.

	Have you tried the patches (I forget who suggested them) below?

>sys/kern/tty.c: change 3 clalloc()s in ttymalloc() to 4k.
>sys/sys/tty.h: change TTYHOG to 4k.

	This individual is running 115.2k raw data continuously thru
a 386-33 on a Hayes/ESP.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group