Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 21:54:56

>On Mon, 20 May 1996, Ted Lemon wrote:
>

>> > I'm not trying to come across as peeved here, but telling someone
>> > "I used it months ago and it was buggy so don't get it" isn't exactly
>> > doing them any good. I'll agree, there are bugs in the driver more than
>> > likely still, but there are bugs in a lot of the kernel code in general...
>>
>> There are lots of reasons not to by Adaptec products.  Unless they
>> have finally relented and started releasing their technical
>> documentation without requiring people to sign NDAs, I think it's
>> entirely reasonable to recommend somebody else's product instead.
>>

>So which SCSI adapter manufacturer has a more liberal information release
>policy?  I'm in the market for a PCI SCSI fast wide controller that I can
>use under NetBSD for normal use and under Windows95 for direct to disk
>video recording.  What should I buy?
>
>-Zach Fine
>czyz@u.washington.edu

AdvanSys gave me the Linux driver source under a very unrestrictive license
and has provided hardware, and access to their test lab and engineering
staff.  I haven't finished porting the driver to FreeBSD yet but it
hopefully will be done by the end of June.

Buslogic also has very good developer relations, but the Buslogic driver
we have now needs to be updated to take better advantage of the newer
card's features.  They have also offered hardware, access to their
test labs and engineering support.  Updating the bt driver is also on
my TODO list.  Charles mentioned fixing the driver up also, so he
may tackle this issue before I get to it.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations