Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 01:35:21
>>Not only that, but your 1542 will give you a ___severe___ performance

>  What scsi controller would be recommended then?  How about a Buslogic
>956C?  930?

The BT958 if you want Ultra Wide.  BT956 is normal Wide.  (BT946 is
normal SCSI-2 (narrow).  BT948 is narrow Ultra.  etc....)

Just so you understand, I was speaking specifically about poor
performance with the ISA-bus 1542 versus any decent bus-mastering PCI
controller (Adaptec 2xxx, BusLogic BT9xx, NCR 53c8xx).  I was not
meaning to imply that Adaptec controllers have bad performance as a
whole.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.