Subject: Future hardware concerns
To: None <graphix@iastate.edu>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1996 20:58:51
>>>>> "Kent" == Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu> writes:

[other questions about hardware supported, deleted]

Kent>   Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide PCI

	I recently installed BSDI on a system with this controller.
BSDI supports the 2940 just fine, but I had to get updated bootdisks
and patches to get it to support the 2940U[w].  I also scoured quite a
lot of the BSDI mailing lists while waiting for my support guys to get
me the disks I needed.

	Anyways, since they're having trouble supporting it (and
Windows NT was only slightly more pleased with it --- I had to use the
vendor supplied disk to get NT to recognise the card --- then the NT
install died trying to recognise a 3 gig partition (refused to install
on it))... I would have some small doubts about the card on a free
UN*X.

	Suffice it to say that I didn't spec the machine this way.
The company ordering guy just 'improved' my spec for me.  Cost me
about a day to get the new boot disks.  Let's just say that the
Canadian reseller of BSDI has got an earfull recently.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |