Subject: Re: VM_Faults
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/1996 21:39:56
>Here's what we have now:
>Pentium 133
>64 Mb Ram
>PCI-SC200 SCSI card using the NCR 53c810 chipset
>Two Seagate ST-31200n 1 gig scsi drives
>We seem to get the kernel faults when using something that might take
>swap space (compiling, or analyzing log files).  I tried disabling the
[...]

Possibly the well-known instability in the NCR SCSI driver.  You have
enough RAM that you might be able to disable *all* swap for a short
period of time, and see if the machine stays up.  Of course, this also
entails avoiding as much disk access as possible.

Alternatively, build a kernel with DDB, and get a stack trace when it
dies to find out if it's getting killed in the NCR driver code.

If you have an Adaptec or BusLogic PCI SCSI controller you can borrow,
you might also try that in the machine.  Note that the Adaptec driver
also has some bugs of its own.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.