Subject: VM_Faults
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/1996 16:48:06
We had NetBSD 1.1 running on a 486/66 16Mb ram and 1540 scsi, and just
upgraded the hardware to a Pentium-133/64Mb w/ a pci scsi card using the NCR
chipset.  After booting up the first time we got a vm page fault.  After
rebooting this happened again.  I then rebooted and removed almost
everything we didn't need from the kernel, and it worked for about 8
hours until it happened again.  It still happens every 2 hours or so.

Also, if I try to to a make on the kernel now, It works for a bit, and
then I get:
"cc: Internal compiler error: Program cc1 got fatal signal 11", which is
a segmentation violation.

I'm guessing it's got something to do with swap.  We've got a 32 meg swap
partition on sd0 and a 96 meg swap partition on sd1.

Here's what we have now:
Pentium 133
64 Mb Ram
PCI-SC200 SCSI card using the NCR 53c810 chipset
Two Seagate ST-31200n 1 gig scsi drives
NetBSD 1.1

We seem to get the kernel faults when using something that might take
swap space (compiling, or analyzing log files).  I tried disabling the
swap on the second drive, but I still got the errors in cc1, but I didn't
leave it on long enough to know if it was goint to lock up that way or not.

I can allways put the old 1540 scsi card back in, but it would be a shame
to have to use an ISA card in a PCI machine.

Thanks,
	Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/