Subject: Re: scsi card
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/07/1996 23:23:10
In message <199604201914.MAA00659@MindBender.HeadCandy.com>, "Michael L. VanLoo
n -- HeadCandy.com" writes:
>>	Adaptec AHA-1540CF (w/o floppy), AHA-1542CF (w/ floppy).
>>               bus-mastering scsi-2 host adapters
>Uh, these are good cards if you want VERY SLOW performance.  I would
>only recommend using one of these if you already own one and you CAN'T
>afford to buy something better.  Not to mention, until it gets fixed,

I wonder about this; someone told me they upgraded to EISA & didn't see
much improvement.  With platter speeds of 3-5MB/s, I really wonder if
you need the extra b/w of a wider bus.
I don't have specs on hard re: the thruput of ISA but I tend to think
it's > 3-5MB/s.

Are there significant latency issues perhaps?  That might convince me.

>NetBSD can't use one of these cards with more than 16MB of memory in
>your machine.

I agree with this, I'm stuck with 16MB and I'll probably just end up
upgrading the whole shebang... memory, controller, motherboard, CPU
all at once... grr... but it needs upgrading as the mboard uses 30-pin
SIMMS :-/