Subject: Re: Can't create i386 installation floppies under -current
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/1996 14:15:09
> Subject: Can't create i386 installation floppies under -current

Bad Subject: from me, I actually *did* get them to go, just without "fsck" ...

> Greg Earle writes:
>> crunchgen -D /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/inst/../../../.. -L /usr/lib \
>> /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/inst/../inst-common/instbin.conf
>> /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/inst/../inst-common/instbin.conf: fsck:
>> warning: could not find source directory.
>
> Hardly surprising, since fsck doesn't exist any more and I haven't
> been maintaining inst since I've been working on a replacement.

Doh!  I'd forgotten about the fsck->fsck_ffs switcheroo ...

> The hacks to get this to work are fairly simple, but I'll point out a
> larger problem -- INST kernels will NOT fit on the floppies any longer.

Zoiks!  As I mentioned, I was trying to do this so as to be able to boot a PC
to test the Ethernet card, and the card is not supported in 1.1.  It's a
somewhat moot point because the problem was solved (it was connected to an
unpowered 4-port Ethernet switchbox and wasn't driving it power-wise), but it
would be nice to be able to cook up -current floppies to give to someone to
install with (or to use yourself on another system).  What's a mother to do?

	- Greg