Subject: Re: Anyone have Linux Netscape working?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathaniel D. Daw <ndd2@columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/29/1996 13:33:22
>> Has anyone been able to get the Linux Netscape 2.01 binary to function
>> with NetBSD-current 1.1B [supped and compiled on 4/27].  I'v only been
>> able to get it to drop core when trying to access a page with Java
>> stuff on it.
>
> I haven't tried 2.01, but Atlas PR1 & PR2 seem to work fine.  But I have
> never been able to get Java to work, at all, with either the BSD/OS or
> Linux versions...

Netscape Java works fine for me, both with BSDI Atlas PR and Linux 2.01.
The trick for the old linux version is that it crashes with a bus error if
your monitor bit depth is not either 8 or 24 bits (can't do 16). This is
fixed in the new Atlas version, and I have used it (BSDI version now)
for lots of java applets without any problem.

My question for anyone who will listen, though, is what is necessary to
get the linux JDK appletviewer working more thoroughly with NetBSD? It (1)
can't load applets off the network (Gives a "transport endpoint already
connected" error -- this is because it marks the socket nonblocking, tries
to call connect on it, gets EINPROGRES, so selects on it, and tries to
call connect on it AGAIN when select returns, getting EALREADY. Anyone
know how Linux is supposed to handle situations like this?) and (2) dies
when playing sounds. Surprisingly enough, based on a ktrace, this doesn't
have anything to do with our kooky emulation of linux audio (it never even
calls a single ioctl on /dev/audio), but it seems to be again a problem
with nonblocking i/o -- if you watch a ktrace, it marks /dev/audio
nonblocking, fills it up with data, and then goes crazy polling it to try
to write more, which returns, hundreds and hundreds of times in a row,
that the operation would block, with the occasional write working. This
little game crowds out all other java threads. Any ideas?

--
...nathaniel daw......................................ndd2@columbia.edu...
 ..ok soda may be the preferred drink of other people, such as yourself..