Subject: Re: i386 NetBSD port of tcpdump ?
To: Matthew B. Wood <devtrix@netcom.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/25/1996 19:12:52
>I'm no C whiz by any means, and I'm wondering if anyone has ported the
>popular 'tcpdump' source to NetBSD.  It does support 386-bsd, but even
>tweaking the Makefile and header files wasn't good enough, at least the way
>I did them.  :)

Well, to port tcpdump, you'd _also_ have to port the the Berkeley Packet
Filter, as that's (one of) the ways tcpdump does it's packet sniffing.

However...

% ls -l /usr/sbin/tcpdump
240 -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  114688 Mar 27 23:51 /usr/sbin/tcpdump

"It's in there!".  tcpdump has been a part of NetBSD for a while, at least
since 1.0.  You'll need to compile bpf into your kernel to use it, but
once that's done, it works great.  I use it all the time.

>On that note, is there any common place to share porting data, even diffs,
>of software for us NetBSD folk?  Every time I go out looking for a new
>piece of software, I find most of it knowing about NetBSD at all.

I assume you mean "not knowing", right?

There are some packages on ftp.netbsd.org, but I think that's been kinda
stale lately.  A couple of quick hints:

- Delete any prototypes for malloc() or sys_errlist[]
- Include unistd.h in any file that uses lseek()

--Ken