Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress 16bit ethernet card
To: None <mgandalf@ptd.net>
From: Gregory Gillham <gillham@agora.rdrop.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/25/1996 09:05:40
> I am trying to install the NetBSD 1.1 kernal and it recognizes
everything but
> -- Mister Gandalf.

(I'm assuming you mean the Intel EtherExpress 16 not the EtherExpress Pro
or Pro/10 which is 16bit also)

NetBSD 1.1 and greater supports the Intel EtherExpress 16. Support for
the Express 16 was added to the existing ie driver which supports a
couple of other net cards using the same chip (Intel 82586). Because of
this, the IRQ is set to 7 which isn't supported by the Express 16.

At my previous job, all I had to work with were Intel net cards. My
brother (Andrew Gillham) graciously ported the Express 16 driver from
FreeBSD to NetBSD. I was so happy to be able to use NetBSD with the net
cards at work that we overlooked the fact that the existing default IRQ
(set for the other two cards) is not supported for the Express 16.

You don't need to purchase a different card (if you are in fact using the
Express 16). However, you will need to get someone to compile a kernel
with the IRQ set to something workable.

I always set the Express 16 up with IRQ 5 or 10, port 300 and iomem d000.
You will need to have a copy of softset or softset2 (softset comes on the
disk with the Express 16) to change the settings - let me know if you
need more assistance.

Softset directions:
c:> a:softset

(can also use the /noreboot option so softset doesn't reboot :-)

Choose the manual configuration.
My setup looks like this:

I/O address             300-30fh
Interrupt               IRQ 5 (AT only)
Connector type          RJ-45 connector
Force 8-bit operation   No
Amount of Ram to map    32 Kbytes
RAM start address       D000h
Boot ROM address        (No boot ROM)

Note: the 32 Kbytes of RAM is critical!

Press F10 to save, then exit.

The most important thing for you is to get a new boot disk created for
you. Please let me know which one you are using and I can have one
created. Also if you have other questions or what I'm saying doesn't make
sense let me know :-)

-greg

Greg Gillham                 gillham@agora.rdrop.com
1811 E FRANKFORD RD APT 1015