Subject: Re: formatting 720k floppy
To: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/21/1996 12:46:33
In message <199604181149.NAA08392@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>, Andrew Wheadon
writes:
>You have two errors unless I'm mistaken
>	1:	it's fd0 not sd0

True, that was a typo

>	2:	it's f	not e

No, different 720kb disk

I realized what I was trying to do was impossible; I was trying to put the
a partition (and therefore, disklabel) on the second cylinder (skipping
a whole cylinder) so that I could fit a boot manager of sorts onto the
first cylinder.  I don't think floppies work this way - it would have to
have a bona fide partition table so NetBSD could find the NetBSD partition
and therefore the disklabel.

I was able to put the boot loader into the place of the normal stage1/2
of the "a" partition though, so no big dealie.

I noticed one thing; "int 13h service 8" reports incorrect geometries for
3.5" 720kb disks... it says there are 18 sect/track when in fact there
are 9.  This is on a 1990 and 1992 BIOS.  I wonder if all of them do
this.