Subject: Re: scsi card
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/1996 23:38:25
On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

// So, buy a new motherboard and plug your CPU into it. :-)  A CPU-less
// motherboard with PCI or VLB could probably be gotten for less than
// $100 in Computer Shopper.

	Right, but networks aren't fun without lots of machines.  I intend
to buy another machine, and have this one too.

// Assuming you don't chose that route, you need either an Adaptec 1542,
// or a BusLogic BT545 (their equivelant of the 1542).  Both are ISA bus
// cards.  Which also means that, for the time being, anyway, NetBSD
// isn'g going to let you use more than 16MB of RAM with them.  That will
// be fixed Some Day.

	What's the deal with the 16MB thing?

// I agree.  That's why I said be careful.  I'm skeptical that you will
// find anything as good as a BusLogic or Adaptec controller.  You may
// find several cheaper, but You Get What You Pay For...

	Understood there...

	Thanks to everyone for the SCSI info.  I've played with some Macs,
Suns, and PCs (BSDI, NetBSD+$2k for getting rid of the source and modern
tools) with SCSI at work, and I'm amazed at how stuff just...works right.

--
The Unix/UUCP/Usenet and anything else that starts with a 'U' guy.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>