Subject: Re: booting off of second partition of second IDE drive?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/1996 01:13:30
>I have a friend who wants to load NetBSD onto the second partition of
>his second IDE drive. How can one get NetBSD to easily boot that way?
>Are there multiboot programs like os-bs that would support that
>cleanly?

I have used OSBS 2 something beta...  It ``works'' with one drive, and
it does find the other partitions on the second drive.  However, I
can't make it work with my new IDE drive.  I know, IDE, should use
SCSI...  Well, I got a 2.5G IDE at a very good price.  Probably lower
than cost, but not much.

What I see is that OSBS simply cannot overwrite the Windoze boot block
that Microsoft blindly places in sector 0.  I don't know yet if this
is a problem with running the OSBS install under Windows, but I have
all the virus ``warning'' features disabled in the BIOS, so it's not
that at least.

I can drop OSBS2beta on an FTP site if needed.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!