Subject: Re: stray interrupt on 7
To: John F. Woods <jfw@FunHouse.com>
From: Sean Berry (most of the time) <spberry@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/12/1996 17:53:58
>> I'm sure this has been addressed numerous times since day 0, but
>> why exactly does one of my machines with lpt in the kernel generate
>> these stray interrupts while the other one doesn't?  (totally different
>> motherboards)
>
>I began seeing this after installing a new kernel roughly March 18.
>I use the line printer in interruptless mode, because I also have a
>ProAudio Spectrum[*] using interrupt 7 (because I need all four serial
>ports, gee I love the ISA bus); however, I now have the PAS completely
>disabled and I'm still seeing the stray interrupts.  I was about to start
>tearing my system apart to identify the failing hardware, but perhaps
>it is software somewhere after all.  In the unlikely event it's interesting
>to anyone, my kernel config file is appended below.

I also have seen this, but I wonder if it's not because we're using the
interruptless driver, and the hardware is still sending interrupts.  Since
the kernel doesn't know who is supposed to get the interrupt (driverwise)
it would seem that you would get this message.  (Not that I've looked at the
source or anything.  :)  )

--
Sean Berry is a computer scientist trapped in an engineer's mind.
I imagine someone is likely to misinterpret my opinions as those of my