Subject: Re: pcvt and TIOCCONS
To: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/10/1996 17:45:57
David Carrel writes:
> Works fine for me.  Make sure you have read access to /dev/console.  (You
> might need write access too.  It's been a while since I set this up.)
> Under pcvt, you will log in on /dev/ttyv0 and only that will get chowned to
> you.

Ah, that totally explains the problem -- no access to /dev/console
because it isn't the login tty.

Anyone have any ideas how this should be done "right" if you are using
pcvt? The problem is that you don't want to just change the
permissions permanently on /dev/console; you want them to remain the
same as the permissions on /dev/ttyv0. Under pccons this isn't an
issue...

Perry