Subject: Re: your BOCALAN
To: Nathaniel D. Daw <ndd2@columbia.edu>
From: Sverre Froyen <sverre@sst.nrel.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/09/1996 08:31:09
Nathaniel D. Daw writes:

> >I have a new Pentium (120MHz) computer with a BOCALANcard ethernet
> >adaptor on which I am trying to install NetBSD 1.1.
> >The system boot just fine, but the ethernet card does not
> >work (reliably -- I was able to login to a Mac with FTP).
> >The problem may be related to the fact that during boot
> >the ethernet address of the card is reported as ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.
> >The card is recognized as le0.  Any ideas?  Should I
> >upgrade to current.  Should I return the card?
>
> Return the card. I had the exact same problem with a Bocalan and my P100
> this fall. The ff:ff:ff:ff:ff means the card's flash rom for storing its
> hardware address is corrupted. I have heard there is a driver probe
> conflict that wipes it out.

Thanks to all who responded.  I suspect that the card's NVRAM got
reset by the 1.1 generic kernel.  I notice that the current kernel
probes for network cards at a much earlier stage (before CDROMS etc.)
so maybe this is a problem of the past.  Anyway, I returned the card
and got a Cnet PCNet-PCI card instead (after reading up on Boca cards)
and I'm booting a custom kernel :-).

Sverre

--
Sverre Froyen (+1-303-384-6612; FAX: +1-303-384-6531)
NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory), Golden, CO 80401